Development and Communications Manager
English for New Bostonians (ENB) creates opportunities for immigrants to learn English and pursue their educational, economic and civic aspirations. We make and manage grants to ESOL programs, provide training and technical assistance (TA), and lead the statewide English Works Campaign uniting employers, community leaders, students, unions, and educators in the call for greater investment in English language learning programs. Each year, ENB programs provide a gateway for 1,100 immigrants to participate in Boston’s economic and civic life.
The Development and Communications Manager will work closely with the ED and Board of Directors to design and implement the organization’s development and communications strategy. The successful candidate will be a skilled and highly organized communicator – with the capacity to oversee and grow our base of support from individual and corporate donors; to execute a successful annual campaign; to plan and organize fundraising events; and to carry out a dynamic communications plan that elevates ENB, immigrant voices, and the value of ESOL to the Commonwealth.
The position offers an opportunity to grow and to work with an innovative staff and volunteers on the cutting edge of immigrant education and social justice.
In partnership with the Executive Director and Board, the Development and Communications Manager will implement comprehensive development and communications plans including identifying, cultivating, and soliciting donations annually from individuals, corporations and corporate funders. Work will include:
- Build a base of prospective major donors through a review of current donors, prospecting, cultivation, soliciting and stewardship.
- Conduct gifts prospect research to support the Executive Director and Board.
- Track and follow up on all donor solicitations.
- Cultivate relationships with existing and prospective donors.
- Create a timeline and strategy for annual appeals using print and digital media, as well as face-to-face and phone solicitations.
- Manage semi-annual appeals (writing, printing/dissemination, budgeting, metrics).
- Oversee fundraising events, including house parties and an annual fundraising breakfast; ensure they meet fundraising goals.
- Solicit sponsorships from philanthropic, corporate, and other relevant sources.
- Develop and implement external communication strategies (website, robust social media presence, e-newsletters, printed materials, etc.) to deliver consistent organizational branding and impact messaging.
- Develop the use of social media for advancing fundraising activities.
Development and Communications Management
- Oversee all operational aspects of a comprehensive development program, including oversight of the donor database and CRM software, and generating timely and meaningful reports that track progress.
- Track donations in database and grants binder; issue acknowledgement letters;
- Oversee interns and volunteers dedicated to assisting on development functions.
- Serve as administrator and key member of the Board Development Committee.
- Work effectively with members of the Board of Directors, leveraging their talents, resources, and ideas to enhance fundraising.
- Work with other ENB staff to leverage giving by corporate and other volunteers.
- Work with Exec. Director and grantwriter to coordinate grants calendar and funder research.
The Development and Communications Manager needs to be a highly motivated, personable, organized individual who through written and face-to-face communication conveys a compelling commitment to immigrants, education and social justice.
The ideal candidate will have most of the following attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree and three or more years experience in development, marketing, communications or related field.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills (including events), with the ability to both conceptualize and carry out a development strategy.
- Ability to work effectively with volunteers and to mobilize key constituents.
- Proficiency with industry standard databases and design programs.
- Experience with using social media to promote a mission-driven organization.
- Highly detail-oriented.
Competitive annual salary commensurate with experience, including the following benefits package:
- Health, dental, and life insurance.
- 403(b) retirement plan, with additional contribution by ENB after two years
- Pre-tax transportation plan.
- Paid holidays, vacation days, personal days, and sick leave including annual office closure between Christmas Eve – New Year’s Day.
To Apply: Send a cover letter and résumé, with three references to email@example.com by 12.31.18. Use subject line “Development and Communications Manager.” Applications will be reviewed as received. Please, no phone inquiries.
ENB is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages women and people of color to apply.