Apply to AmeriCorps
2018 – 2019 OPPORTUNITY!
The NEW AMERICAN INTEGRATION PROGRAM (NAIP) is an AmeriCorps program administered by the MIRA Coalition, in partnership with English for New Bostonians. Up to 30 NAIP members will be placed at various community-based organizations across Massachusetts to address barriers to economic empowerment among immigrants and refugees by focusing their service on job readiness training (including ESOL instruction) and/or citizenship services (including application assistance and civics instruction). Additional add- on services include volunteer coordinator and community service support.
ABOUT: English for New Bostonians (ENB) creates opportunities for immigrants to learn English and pursue their economic, educational and civic goals. ENB funds over 20 high quality ESOL programs serving 1100 adults in Boston. ENB also trains teachers, customizes innovative approaches to meet diverse student needs and leads a statewide English Works Campaign to promote greater investment in ESOL.
SERVICE POSITION TITLE: ESOL Volunteer and Special Projects Coordinator
SERVICE DESCRIPTION: The AmeriCorps member will work with ENB’s “Allies for Immigrants ESOL Corp,” including recruiting, inspiring, training and placing volunteers to help adult immigrants improve their English and employability skills. The AmeriCorps member also will do some direct teaching at one of ENB’s funded English programs, and organize special events that connect ESOL students with skills training and employment opportunities.
SERVICE LOCATION: Boston
SERVICE SCHEDULE: 9AM – 5PM, M-F.
Members commit to full-time service from Sep 5, 2018 through Aug 3, 2019.
• Working with ESOL volunteers and ESOL program staff;
• Teaching English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL);
• Organizing career awareness activities and work with students to reach career and educational goals;
• Working as part of a team;
• Travel at least once/month for NAIP member meetings;
• Make a full-time, 11-month commitment
• Excellent organizational and communication skills
• Interest in and commitment to national and community service
• Experience working with diverse populations
• High school diploma or GED equivalent
• 17 years of age or older
• Must be a US Citizen, US National or Legal Permanent Resident
• Must be willing to undergo a National Service Criminal History Check, including screenings through the National Sex Offender Public Website, a name-based search of the statewide criminal history registry both in Massachusetts and your state of residence upon application to our program, and a fingerprint-based FBI check
• Opportunity to work with two professional, diverse and immigrant-focused teams;
• Periodic professional development opportunities;
• A Living Allowance up to $13,732
• Loan forbearance and a Segal Education Award of $5,920 upon completion of service
• Health Coverage
• Child Care Assistance
• Expert training in Teaching ESOL (including an opportunity to acquire a TESOL Certificate), Citizenship Assistance, and Job Readiness Instruction
NAIP NOTICE OF NON-DISCRIMINATION
NAIP does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, ability, gender, secular preference, sexual orientation, marital status, age, political affiliation or religion, in accordance with the non- discrimination requirements of applicable statutes. NAIP is committed to supporting individuals with disabilities to serve as AmeriCorps members.
HOW TO APPLY
Download the general application from the MIRA website: www.miracoalition.org/americorps-programs
Submit your resume and application via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until all positions are filled. Please note that if not selected for this position, you may still be considered for placements at other host sites.